I say “early thoughts” but mostly likely these will be my last thoughts.
Quick recap: I am at level 56 and in the third zone. I’ve maxed fishing and my cooking is at 70/75 and needing the piranha from the final zone.
Why fish now?
I’m old! I get tired of hunching over my computer while questing and adventuring for hours. I don’t want to leave, I have friends to talk with. So, some fishing.
- Don’t buy the fishing pole from the vendor. It gives +15 fishing and you can get bait. All too soon you will have enough bait to support ten hours of fishing.
- Use your Underlight Angler. It gives you +15 and you can walk right out onto the water. Once you ding 200 fishing and earn Shadowlands Fisherman, you won’t need any fishing pole.
- Buy the bait from the vendor to fish the specific fish that you want. It lasts 30 minutes and if you log out at 18, when you log back in it is still 18 minutes.
- The first flight point in the third zone, Tirna Vaal, you can fish in a rested area if that is a concern.
- In the second zone, the first flight point (arena?), there is a pool right there with two NPCs fishing. You can’t miss it. There is water in the rest of the zone but it is shallow and not worth the hike.
- I’m a-betting that fish will sell. I won’t, I’ll cook my foods and be done.
- I’m still learning the fish names but they make sense. The pickled bone fish is in the second zone so of course it would be bonefish and the iridescent fish is in the third zone. It makes sense.
This is a nice design. The fishing leveling is like Vanilla, early on you get points for each cast but will probably get a rusty chain or an old boot. Up in the 170s, for example, you need several casts for a point but no more boots.
The cooking recipes have no ranks and the materials seem to be much less than BFA, so you can get your week’s needs done easily. And, like I said above, you can level cooking up to 70 with just fishing; so you can then focus on the high end buff food that you want which might need the farmed meats and haunches.
Compared to BFA, this is much simpler, cleaner and is not a giant time sink for the professions. Even the special fish for the feasts have a bait and you can catch all you want for a month in about 30 minutes of fishing.
Well done, Blizzard.